The IRN/GDRI-South QUALITY is an international research group funded by IRD for the period 2021-2025. This network is coordinated by Agnès Aubouy of the research unit PHARMADEV.
QUALITY network aims to work on the quality of plant-based health products, for their integration into health systems.
Plants represent a major source of biologically active natural products and are particularly interesting for the development of new drugs. In most developing countries, the low access to conventional medicines for the population is a critical public health problem, despite the economic development of these countries. To address this, and according to traditional and cultural practices, local populations turn first to traditional practitioners who mainly use herbal remedies. This very frequent recourse to herbal medicine suggests that it could be a powerful tool for Public Health. However, such a tool must be safe and effective. However, among all the available herbal medicines, few are subject to rigorous controls and scientific studies attesting to their composition, their absence of toxicity and their efficacy.
In order to meet this major public health challenge, the network aims to first coordinate proposals from African and South American laboratories in order to optimize and homogenize methodological approaches to define the quality of phytomedicines.
The partners of this network are :
- The Faculty of Pharmacy of the USTTB, Mali – Dr Mahamane Haidara
- The Department of Traditional Medicine (DMT) of INRSP, Mali – Pr Rokia Sanogo
- The Institute for Research and Development of Medicinal and Food Plants of Guinea (IRDPMAG) – Pr Mamadou Balde
- The Institute of Clinical Research of Benin (IRCB) – Pr Achille Massougbodji
- The Laboratory of Biochemistry and Bioactive Natural Substances (LBSNB) of the University Calavi in Benin – Pr Latifou Lagnika
- The Institute of Research in Health Sciences (IRSS), unit MEPHATRA/PH, Burkina Faso – Dr Noufou Ouedraogo
- The Department of Pharmacology and the Universidad Nacional de Trujillo, Peru – Pr Mayar Luis Ganoza-Yupanqui
- The Natural Products Research Unit (UIPN) of the UPCH, Peru – Pr Rosario Rojas
- PHARMADEV IRD/University of Toulouse 3, France – Dr Agnès Aubouy and members of the CHIPS axis
- UMR INFINITY INSERM/CNRS/UPS, France – Pr Antoine Berry
- UMR MERIT IRD/University of Paris Descartes, France – Pr Sandrine Houzé
- UMR LIED CNRS/University of Paris Diderot, France – Dr Florence Chapeland-Leclerc
The UMR LPED IRD/AMU, France – Dr Carine Baxerres
A steering committee was created to ensure the governance of the network and more particularly to decide on the annual actions and expenses of the network, to follow the actions in progress and to reorient them if necessary. This committee is made up of representatives from the different geographical areas of the network, as well as the network coordinator: Rokia Sanogo and Mamadou Aliou Baldé for West Africa, Rosario Rojas for Peru, Maëlle Carraz and Sandrine Houzé for France, and Agnès Aubouy, network coordinator.
For more information, contact Agnès Aubouy